Sunday, 24 July 2011

Stowage Tutorial - Bangalores

I have been asked by SC over on The Spring Offensive to post up a tutorial I knocked up way back in Jan 2008 for some stowage - namely Bangalores.

I based my bangalores on the ones I got from Forge World in their Storm Sword kit:

The original bit of stowage from Forge World.

And a couple of example of ones I built:

Command Chimera - doesn't show the piece
that well unfortunately.

From my Hellhound.
As you can see on my Bangalores I have kept the recessed ends. It would of been much easier to simply have the ends flush but I wanted to keep the look of the original piece.

I went about making them like this:

Not a great diagram. Sorry.

A - A 3.2 diameter tube is cut to length (whatever suits the tank). Now the walls look to thick as such.

B - Using a pin vice the hole is opened up to 2mm in diameter, to about 5mm in depth.

C - Some 2mm diameter rod is cut, approx 3-4mm in length and one of these is pushed into the hole at each end of the 3.2 tube just past the end.

D - A second tube is done the same way and glued side by side to the first one.

E - Next up is the mounting brackets, use soem styrene strip, in the example a 1x2mm strip was used. It is cut into pieces as long as the two tubes are wide (so approx 6.5mm long). One piece is glued to each end of the tube, the position is whatever looks good and will depend on the length of the tubes used. A third one in the centre might be worthwhile if they are particularly long (though making them too long may not long right).

F - Straps. I used .25mm styrene cut to match the bracket width (2mm in this case). Cut long enough to wrap round the tubes from one bracket side to the other and a bit extra. Brush some poly cement over the tubes & brackets and bend the strap over. The strap shouldn't be flush with the brackets yet.

G - Finsihing off. Trim the strap ends and then cut from a styrene rod (.75mm rod with a 1mm thick bracket) some rivets and glue in place.

Hopefully that is all clear enough. If I get chance I may do an improved diagram.

3 comments:

  1. Excellent point about using the solid rod to ap the ends, hadn't considered starting with tube; I had been using a drill bit to hollow out the ends.

    Simple, great, thanks.

    Now I shall shamelessly copy it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tip. It seems nice and simple yet looks really effective. I'll have to try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheers for the comments. Glad to see people like the tutorial and will be giving it a go.

    ReplyDelete