To recap I originally built a gun emplacement four or five years ago and recently decided to replicate the design using 3D modelling and printing to create masters which I could cast.
|The Original Model I built many years ago...|
|And the 3D Model of the Mk. II design|
In the last post I showed the 3D prints of the base pieces and the gun mounting plate. The two base pieces had gone wrong somehow in the printing process and on th egun plate some detail hadn't come out great. So moving on a month Shapeways has replaced the two prints...
While I have removed the crappy detail on the gun mounting plate and added some new details:
I then did the moulds and started casting.
First up the gun mounting plate, here shown with the master:
|Master on the left,|
Cast on the right (after a coat of grey primer)
A quick coat of grey primer later it looked like this...
I had a Hydra kit arrive from Forgeworld and I was delighted to find it did fit. The plan originally was to wait for the kit to arrive before doing any moulds and casting to ensure the turret fitted between the detail I had added, however I got impatient and did it anyway. Thankfully I hadn't made a terrible mistake.
And using the crappy second hand Earthshaker:
And a final shot showing Militiaman Bob behind the wall.
|Say hello to Bob.|
I also need to add the small lifting eye plates on the top of the walls.
After that it'll be more casting till I have a full battery of three. I will cast six mounting plates - three for Earthshakers and three Hydras, they can then be dropped into the bases as and when required.