Wednesday, 17 December 2014

Ogryn Renegade Berserkers 1

I'm ill.

Again.

So i'm stuck in the same limbo I thought I was getting out of, I'm either working or in no state to work on models.

This is a bit frustrating as I've got the Junka shouting at me to work on it and the Daemons needing a lick of paint or two.

On top of that I have an actual game planned for the Xmas break where the Daemons will be teaming up with some Militia for a 5500 point Apocalypse game against some Nids.

I really want to give the Ogryn a run out so I have decided to get them built enough to at least be usable.

Here is the first Oggie...

I had to cut up his weapon, drill & dremel out his hands and rebuilt it all with some brass rod.


The weapon head isn't glued on yet as I need to detail it up - starting with some spikes riveted on.


main reason to break up the weapon was that the hands wouldn't line up with the arms originally. Now they meet up correctly, need to do a bit of GS gap filling yet.


Not glued in yet but you can see how it all comes together.

Still plenty to do on him yet, cleaning up, replacing pipes, GS gaps, detailing weapon...

I also put together the doggies, bar a couple of legs. For the game they will probably just be temporarily attached to their bases.


Tuesday, 9 December 2014

Blessings of the Plaguefather - Beasts 6

The other mini-project mentioned in my previous post was to get the new (and final) Plague Toad done.

I did a bit of work on him so he looks a bit different to the other two toads which are the same sculpt.

Made the mouth a bit smaller, added GS to the face, cut off one foot and repositioned it slightly and added a different texture to his back and side.


Originally I was hoping to re sculpt the broken off horn but in the end dismissed the idea due to a lack of sculpting talent.

Instead I cut what was left off then dremeled the area out. I then used the spare horn from Scabby to give him a nice new big horn (the other toads will be jealous). Bit of GS finished it off.


After a paint job this is what he looks like.



Bit rushed, base will prob need a bit more work in the future but he's good enough for tabletop standard which is all I have ever aimed for. At the moment I just haven't got time or concentration for any more than that.

Saturday, 6 December 2014

Adeptus Mechanicus Icon 3 - Basing Up

While I am now feeling a lot better than I was I am finding I still have little time to do any hobby stuff due to work annoyingly taking over.

All I have managed is the odd half hour here or there on a couple of mini-projects.

The first one is trying out the AdMech icon I cast up on a base.

I thought about having the icon popping out of some rubble, so I set about knocking one up.

By angling the mould you can get some part casts which are perfect for that half buried look...



All they need is a quick sand for a flat base and then they can glue them in place onto a base (a mini or a terrain base).




After an undercoat it looks like this:




Considering how quick I knocked it up with really very little care I think it looks decent enough. With more time spent putting one together I think the part angled casts will be perfect for this sort of thing.

It is now going to go into a box as I've got no use for it, I only built it as I wanted to see how the casts would turn out. I don't use the big flyer oval bases for my aircraft and I don't have any use for a rubble base so this is a bit unneeded to say the least.

Monday, 1 December 2014

Adeptus Mechanicus Icon 2

So the last week has been another quiet one with me still being in no state to do any real model work.

As such I only managed to keep my eye in by working on the Adeptus Mechanicus icon.

I gave the icon an undercoat to help highlight any areas which needed more work. I spotted some things which needed to be worked on more, such as the sunken area round the edge and around the eye and nose.


The icon then got another undercoat...


At this point there wasn't much else I could do but do a mould and get a cast done:



Few air bubbles in the mould which was annoying but no problem to clean them up on the cast itself.

Plan is to turn a couple of these into rubble for bases. Plus when (I say when but 'if' would be more appropriate) I build city fight and Zone Mortalis boards these will come in very handy.

Now there is a chance I will get asked the question so I will say now I won't be selling any casts.