Saturday, 28 June 2014

Blessings of the Plaguefather - Plague Hulk 6

He has legs.














Left hand has been hollowed out, it's not been glued in place yet.



Thursday, 26 June 2014

Blessings of the Plaguefather - Plague Hulk 5

More progress...

On the body a bit more texture was added:




And he got his tongue.


The legs are done, I added the odd bit of texture and also did the last two cables, one of which I made all gloopy and sticky:


And the two claws are also done:









The next job will be adding the legs and claws to the hull, i'll probably then have a little more work to do on the body. The gun arm will get added...and then i'll have to sort his left hand...which I still haven't come to a decision on.

Finally I was asked what tools I use with the dremel, basically it is just these three engraving tools....


Monday, 23 June 2014

Blessings of the Plaguefather - Plague Hulk 4

Managed to get a bit more done on the Plague Hulk, not been easy due to the World Cup and going to a gig.

But I did more on the body and the legs as well as starting on the front claws.

However I came to add the engine manifold under the body and the tubes between it and the engine block only to discover I had covered the area the manifold goes with GS and the pustules.

So I had to remove a bit...


Then mount the manifold and tubes before re-adding the pustules and GS.



All four legs now have the armour plates on and are almost finished. Still need to add the cables to two of them. May also be a bit more GS and (non dremel) texturing to do.




The front claws are in a similar state but I still have to add the armour plates. The upper arm pieces have yet to be touched other than me removing the cables (didn't bother with a picture of those).



Hopefully I'm on the finishing straight with the 'ulk. Still a fair bit to do but the end is in sight.

Monday, 16 June 2014

Blessings of the Plaguefather - Plague Hulk 3

More progress on 'the Hulk'.


The remaining three legs have been brought up to the same state - Dremel used on them and GS used to fill in gaps etc I also removed the pipes with the aim of replacing them as per the first leg. They need some more clean up before I add the armour plates and do some more texturing.



On the body I continued with adding more GS and incorporated some 'vents' to match the exhausts on the Decimator.




At the rear I added the engine/exhaust block.

I added a couple of new pipes to hide the gap where it joins to the body, no way I could get it to fit without a gap and no way I could get in there to fill the gap, so only thing I could do was cover it up.


Now I admit the GS work on the underside isn't my best work, but it is good enough and you will barely see any of it once the model is actually built as this quick mock up shows...




Next up will be to finish the legs off and start on the claws.

Saturday, 14 June 2014

Blessings of the Plaguefather - Plague Hulk 2

Managed to get a little more done on the Plague Hulk.

When I first picked up the 'Hulk the plan was to do a quick and easy build job, basically straight out of the box. It is a nice looking kit with no real need for me to change anything.

However...I have never been a fan of the Defiler. To be frank there is nothing I like about it. Now the Plague Hulk solves most of the issues but I still don't like the blades mounted on the legs, I think they look stupid.

The last time I used a Defiler in a conversion I removed them all and left the leg armour plates off, but for the Hulk I wanted to use the leg armour but still wanted to lose the spikes.

So I have put the first leg together. It still needs some clean up but it is basically done.



Now I have assumed the 'rods' you see in the leg are meant to move - pistons perhaps changing the leg length as required. As such the leg armour needs to allow this.

My initial idea was to simply fill the slots in the armour plate in so it was solid but taking into account the above I instead added 'washers' and bolts. These hold the armour plate in place while allowing movement on the leg.



You may notice I mounted the armour plate upside down, with the widest part at the top. When I did the dry run I just liked that far better.


As you can see I attacked the leg with the Dremel as they look far to clean and neat for a Nurgle Daemon Engine. I removed the very chunky looking chaos stars as well as adding a little GS. I won't be adding much GS to the legs just a little here and there mainly to cover up some of the crap joins of the plastic leg parts.

With the body I started adding GS, part to blend the Daemon and machine in a bit more, partly to cover gaps and partly to hide the fact I had to cut the lower plates into three pieces and shave some of it away.

I am yet to give it the Dremel treatment.




Thanks for all those who made suggestions of what I could put in his raised left hand.

I am still undecided. Not wanting to give him a weapon in that hand limits my choices (a scythe ot some sort of censer would have been nice). I also want to avoid trophies as I personally find it jarring when the corpse trophy doesn't match who you are facing each time.

Currently thinking maybe a tree branch or piece of ruin to nicely tie in the Plague Hulk with terrain and the other large pieces in the army (Drone bases, Spined Beast base etc).

I am though still very much open to other ideas so if you have one please do let me know.


To finish I mentioned I had done some conversions before using Defiler parts, I don't think I have ever put them up on RD so until I do a post about them here is a couple of shots of my Nurgle Dreadnoughts. If I had kept these two I could probably have used them as Decimators...