Sunday, 25 September 2016

Aeronautica Imperialis - Terrain 1

I've actually done some hobby stuff.

A very small amount, but in the light of how much I have done over the last couple of months it can be counted as progress and worthy of an update.

As soon as I picked up that load of AI planes from eBay I was thinking I needed something Eldary for my airplanes to blow up and/or capture from the pointy eared ones (which will be referred to as "Panzies" when I'm using the Bommerz).

So I thought some bit of half buried Eldar structure, maybe a warp gate or some such would be good.

A couple of years ago I was commissioned to do a mould and casts of some Warp Vanes for a Wraithknight by the extremely talented Andy Hicks. He is an awesome converter of Eldar infantry and vehicles, if you haven't seen them I suggest you take a few hours off to browse his website. The Wraithknight with the warp vanes in place can be found on this page. He was selling casts of the vanes, so if you want some yourself drop him a line and he might be able to help you out.

I'd got a couple of the warp vanes knocking around from when I was doing the first test casts so I decided to turn them into a piece of AI terrain.


Crappy pictures I know but you get the idea. I mounted the vanes on some 1mm styrene then added milliput to bulk the bases out and help it look a bit more 'natural'. I decided to split the base so they could be either set up together or as two separate pieces. However I do wish I had made the join a bit more natural as now they can't really be set up as anything other than a pair.


Scale shot, I know, using an Eldar aircraft would have been more appropriate but I have packed them away ready to give to Nife and I couldn't be arsed to get them out just for one picture.

After the milliput had cured I covered the bases in tissue and thinned PVA. Then filler was added to the PVA and painted over. More filler (in powder form) was then sprinkled over.

To be honest I was making it up as I went along hoping to get a pleasing result. I didn't want to just sand it as I thought that would be both boring and not really fit the scale.



Quite happy overall. Needs bit more cleaning up and GS to the one air bubble but otherwise it is close to being done. I may decide to add more filler to one base to have the vane a bit more buried. We'll see.

5 comments:

  1. Those look fantastic! Finding the appropriate 'scale' of sand and flock is one of the surprisingly challenging parts of doing epic scale, and you've nailed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers. Basing can be very tricky at this scale, thankfully with AI it's only on the odd piece of terrain that you need to think about it.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I missed out om this game back when it was available, but asban avid x-wing player I'd be curious to try creating rules for it using FFG's flightpath system.

    Should be a straightforward conversion really.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can pick up the rulebooks from ebay for reasonable prices (seen them go for 10-15 quid).

      X-Wing and AI are on the surface similar looking games but in reality are very different beasts.

      Delete