Pages

Wednesday 15 April 2015

Ork Zone Mortalis Force - Meganobs 1

As mentioned a number of times I am putting together an Ork force for Zone Mortalis.

I've had some Dredds and Kans kicking around for a while (more on those in a later post, though you can see them if you look at the tags below right) but I didn't want to do a force until I had either plastic Meganobs from GW or resin ones from FW. I'd rather have had the latter but I have no complaints about the GW kit, it is very nice with lots of bits in it.

I picked up three boxes and the plan is for seven regular Nobz with the remaining two figures becoming a Big Mek and a Warboss.

While I don't have an issue with the models the rules are a little naff for Meganobz, you would have thought being the elite and wealthiest of Nobz in an Ork warband they would have more toys to play with but alas they have very few options in the army list.

When it came to picking a klan for my force I went back to my roots. While I have dabbled with the thought of Blood Axes and Death Skulls I felt a force of all Meganobs and Walkers just screamed Goffs. So this lot will be sporting a very fashionable black eventually.

Here are the seven regular grunts:


To fit in with my already built Kans and Dredds I went over every piece roughing up the edges of plates etc. This takes a bit of time but worth it in the end.

I didn't want bosspoles on them all (too many points and not worth it) but I cut down bosspoles so each one had something on the back to fill the space in,

The guy on the far right has twin Killsaws. My original plan was to have two guys with these but I just couldn't afford another 10 points for a second set. Annoyingly you can't upgrade a klaw to a killsaw, only swap both weapons for a set. I don't see why this would be an issue - surely a five point upgrade would have been fine just to give a Nob Armourbane? And more importantly bring some more variety into the unit you can field.


The one MAN with a Bosspole is the leader of the unit. Who at this moment is nameless, so we shall refer to him as Bob for now. I used the masked/horned head for Bob, I also use it on the warboss (see below) as I do think it gives more of a 'boss' feel.


I have left off the iron gobs as I can see it would make it a right pain to paint the heads if they were glued in place. I have built them and I tried to make each one a little different.


After the MANs we have the Big Mek.

Who using the name generator in 'Ere We Go is called Mek Gorsnik.


Not decided yet if he will get a mask or an iron gob. I did cut the Spanner from a mask and mount it on his chest, seemed appropriate. The banner is from the regular Nobs kit I think? Or maybe the Burna kit. An Ork kit of some name anyway. To be frank I would rather he didn't have the Kustum Mega Blasta, but that it what he comes with and you don't have the option to change it (except by paying more points - for a 'weaker' weapon). As he is stuck with a gun that only fires one shot a turn I thought I better give him a Gitfinda so he has a chance of hitting something once in a while.

The only real role for Gorsnik on the battlefield will be to do repairs on the Dredds and Kans, to keep them mobile and shootin'. As such I gave him the Fixer Upperz upgrade to increase the chance of doing repairs. I did think of adding some bionic type arms to represent this, but it didn't look right so in the end I went a different way.


Basically while Gorsnik goes on about how great he is at fixin' things his assistant, Bodgit, just get's on and fixes the things that actually need fixing and thus getting the armour back up and running and increasing Gorsnik's reputation as a genius Mekaniak.


The final member of the team is the Warboss.

Again looking to 'Ere We Go he has the name of Skatgut Grimwort (a boss should have a double name I think).

I wanted him to be a little bigger than the rest, being the boss and all, so I increased his height by 2mm. Pain in the arse job and the end result is that you don't notice the difference. Awesome.


Still WIP so the arms are only blu tac'd on at the moment.


As well as increasing his height I gave him a new Goff centric banner pole (just for show, no rules) and removed the blade on his gun with a Choppa blade (again just for show). He got a couple of extra armour plates.

I mentioned the head is the same as used on another figure, but this guy got bigger horns and a top spike.

Frustratingly what I would really like is to give my warboss, the best guy to have in an assault, two close combat weapons so he can tear anything up. Unfortunately GW design studio never thought that would be something an Ork Warboss would like. As such he is stuck with a gun and one CCW. I can't even upgrade the Klaw to a Killsaw.

He is getting an Attack Squig at least. But I have decided he needs a bigger base to fit Squiggy on so I've ordered some 50mm bases. I may use one on the Big Mek as well.


All of the above still need some work, namely GS filling of gaps and the odd detail I may add including to the bases. But the backbone of the built is pretty much done. I will temporarily glue them onto their bases so they can be used in games but eventually I will paint the bases separate for ease so I don't want to fix them in place too securely.


Quite a wordy update.

Doesn't seem appropriate for one about Orks.

2 comments:

  1. Love me some mega nobz. I wish they'd allow a more elite group of them outside of bully boyz...bully boyz makes them incredible, but it's such a chunk o points!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aye, alas can't really afford them in a 1000 point force, not when I have all those Kans and Dredds to take (not to mention the Warboss and Big Mek...)

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.